These were my resolutions for 2015-
1-Read 25ish books including the full Game of Thrones series and potentially Outlander. I did read all of Game of Thrones and started Outlander… but I have yet to finish and I didn’t reach 25.
Learn guitar you fool. BOOM! Totally did
3-Draw at least 5 pages for my comic and settle on a final draft for the script. No, no, no, nooooo
Try and make it to the “M”s for TED talks. Minimum catch up on all the talks I’ve missed with last names ending A-H-ish. I did accomplish this, although I may have a bit of catching-up to do.
5-Catch-up on the YouTube things I watch. Nooooope.
6-Try to devote 30min a week to either looking at drafts or writing something new. No pressure. Fail.
7-Pay off all that debt you jerk! We did! But then the weddang created more :(
8-Complete a comic for our weddang favour. I’m awful this year… I might not even do that anymore.
Hmmm so let’s see… for 2016 I will do the following-
1-Pay off the wedding and become a debt free person again.
2-Write a song on guitar.
3-Write something… a short story, a draft… just something.
4-Give Roisin some lyrics to work with.
5-Draw something. Anything. Just fucking do it.
Here we are, my reflections on the year 2015:
1. What did you do in 2015 that you’d never done before?
-Saw Belle & Sebastian live
-Went to a concert in Detroit
-Had a Cinn-a-Stack at an IHOP
-Was made redundant
-Got my smart serve and became a bartender
-Sponsored someone for permanent residency
-Got a spur of the moment tattoo or two
-Had engagement photos taken – not once, but twice
-Went to an NBA basketball game
-Put an offer in on a house
-Got a home inspection
-Got pre-approved for a mortgage
-Bought a couch
-Went to Caesars in Windsor
-Had a private viewing in an art gallery
-Dressed like Roisin
-Started a promotions company and subsequently a gay dance party
-Cooked a turkey. BOOM!
-Bought a TV
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Some I did, some I didn’t. That’s always the way. I’d like to think that one year I’ll be like: YEAH! I kept them all.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
SO MANY BABIES. My childhood BFF had a wee bear and Reannon and so many others. My instagram is all babies.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
I don’t believe so.
5. What countries did you visit?
Zee United States and also Scotland and England.
6. What would you like to have in 2016 that you lacked in 2015?
One full time job please with a contract and benefits and perhaps a pension and some paid time off.
7. What date(s) from 2015 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Hmmmmmmmm our trip to the UK in February
Our weekend at the casino in early July
All of the Saturday Night Beavers
Our tiny thanksgiving celebration
My sister’s wedding
Our photoshoot with Jennifer Moher
Our final days of 2015 in Scotland
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Cooking a turkey! Also, running a successful dance party. Particularly the December music video version.
I guess I’m also pretty happy with the work I did as the Guest Services Coordinator of the Media City Film Fest.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Being made redundant. Thus being unemployed and having to go back to a two-job shuffle.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
No real injuries unless I count the first few days after I started doing my Kayla Itsines workouts…
But I was ill with chest infections and bronchitis and other coughing crap from about August through to now-ish.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Two trips to the UK, many-a-thing for the wedding including photos and the venue etc, a green fraggle dress, lots and lots of books and indigo products. Annnnnd a couch! Oh… and a TV.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Roisin! For being the best lady! And also Scott for becoming a Doctor.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and/or depressed?
Our homophobic neighbours?
14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent, flights, couch, cats, debt.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Our trips to the UK
Checking out our weddang venue
Getting our engagement photos
Our visit to Hamilton
16. What song(s) will always remind you of 2015?
Highasakite- Heavenly Father
Warpaint- No Way Out
Of Monster and Men- Crystals
Raury- God’s Whisper
Hozier- Take Me to Church
Oh Wonder- Technicolour Beat
Meg Myers- Make a Shadow
Tobias Jesso Jr.- Without You
Eza- High & Low
Say Lou Lou- Julien
Milk & Bone- New York
Best Coast- Feeling Ok
Billie Marten- Heavy Weather
Wolf Alice- Giant Peach
Hop Along- The Knock
This is the kit- Spore all settling
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder?
I think I might be happier or more optimistic than last year because we have a plan of action
ii. thinner or fatter?
Pretty much the same.
iii. richer or poorer?
Likely poorer but that’s just due to the weddang.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I agree with last year. I wish I’d read more, watched more TED talks and maybe drawn a bit.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Job hunting. Working. Worrying.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Roisin and I went to my folks’ house for Christmas dinner. It was pretty low key and good. I wasn’t ill this time around which was a huge improvement.
21. Did you fall in love in 2015?
No need. I’ve been in love with Roisin since 2012.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Orange is the New Black, Buffy, Seinfeld, the New Girl, any HGTV show, Property Brothers, Homeland, American Horror Story, Party of Five
23. What was the best book you read?
The entire Game of Thrones series. SO. GOOD.
And I’m sad to report I didn’t read much else.
24. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Not really a discovery but a revisit and new appreciation for Grimes and St. Vincent
Vok, Billie Marten, Oh Wonder, Honeyblood, Courtney Barnett, Meg Myers, London Grammar, Tobias Jesso Jr., Wolf Alice, Laura Doggett, Say Lou Lou, Adna, Highasakite, Soak, This is the Kit and so many others.
25. What did you want and get?
26. What did you want and not get?
To have a full-time job with benefits.
27. What was your favorite film of this year?
Hmmmm I feel like I didn’t watch many films in 2015 hmmm
Likely Interstellar or Me, Earl and the Dying Girl
28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were ya?
I turned 31. Roisin and I ate chocolate cake and watched Home Alone as I always do. My mum actually surprised me with the cake the night before. Then we had an early meal at the Keg before going to Roisin’s gig at Milk later that night. Pretty good I’d say.
29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2015?
Weird glasses always, tiny wee bunches, a beanie, white converse, black vans, jeans or leggings with loose fitting patterned tops, lots of pineapple attire, lots of crazy blazers, sometimes bow ties. Gold jewelry.
31. What kept you sane?
Roisin. And much laughing. Always with the laughing. Also, Dolly. We have some pretty lovely pals.
32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Hmmmm probably Sarah Paulson or Jessica Lange
33. Who did you miss?
I miss Scott quite a bit and our hot beverage, pastry chit chats.
34. Who was the best new person you met?
Oooo… who did I meet in 2015- Perhaps Jennifer Moher. Wee Natalie and Jordyn!
35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2015?
Hindsight is indeed 20/20.
Good-bye 2015! Hello 2016!